Monday, February 2, 2009

Jesus is Everywhere

When I was in Primary (sunday school for children from age 3-11) I was introduced to the concept of "Would you do that if Jesus was here?". It was more of a threat used by teachers to make us behave during Primary Program rehearsals in the chapel. It worked for a while because no one wanted to misbehave in front of Jesus. (I also recall being told that Jesus was in the building with us at all times- that he lived there- so it made it very likely to me that he might drop by to check up on us in our classes.)

As I got older and left Primary, I continued to hear people ask/threaten "Would you do that if Jesus was here?" and it started to bother me. I began to think of things that I would certainly not do if Jesus was in the room, but these things weren't evil or sinful. For example: going to the bathroom. I would not go to the bathroom with Jesus in the room because it would be rude. I would not shower with Jesus in the room because I prefer my privacy. I would not pick my nose in front of Jesus. I would not pick a wedgie. I would not get dressed or undressed. The list goes on.

While I understand the basis of why people use this question- the same way WWJD is used- I just don't think it's a very good question. I remember it being used when leaders would talk about questionable movies. They would say, "Would you watch that movie if Jesus was in the room?" My answer to that question, no matter what the movie, is an easy "no"! I mean, come on: if Jesus was in the room, I would much rather have a meaningful conversation with him than watch any stupid movie. Or, if he really wanted to watch a movie, I would let him choose because he's the guest!

Anyway, I went for a while without hearing anyone ask one of these questions. While attending Enrichment last week, I walked into the bathroom and this is what I saw:



My immediate thought was, "Can I go to the bathroom if Jesus is in the stall?"


5 comments:

Jean said...

Only if you feel comfortable knowing that Jesus is watching you. (Haha! Seriously, who leaves a pass-along card in the stall??)

Ami said...

Oh so that's what the picture was for!!!

Kev and Chels said...

that's hilarious. someone on my mission turned down this pass along card because he already had been offered one previously, put it up in his room and then felt like Jesus was asking him with outstretched arms, just as he was about to do something bad "Hey, man, what are ya doin'? so he turned it around and still did whatever he was about to. i thought that was pretty funny. this is chelsey powers bytheway. i found your blog off of ami's. feel free to check ours out at www.kevandchels.blogspot.com. hope you're doing well.

Mary said...

Dana, I love it! That is so funny! You always make me laugh! Miss you!

Jess said...

awesome. glad you got that documented. miss u!