Saturday, March 6, 2010

Follow-Up on "Avatar"

Avatar- I didn't love it. I was really disappointed after hearing so much good about it. Maybe it was too hyped and didn't deliver for me. Or maybe I should have seen it in the theater to appreciate it. I thought it looked cool and impressive and everything, but it wasn't the most unique story. I had been told that it was similar to "Fern Gully", but I wasn't expecting it to be as similar as it was. And frankly, I think I'd prefer to watch "Fern Gully" over "Avatar". Maybe I was supposed to be distracted by all the cool effects enough to ignore the plot, but that was not the case. I don't know. Maybe I'm being harsh. I started out liking it a lot, but I lost interest as it went on. I could have stopped watching it half-way through and would have been fine not going back to finish it. And as cool-looking as the CG is, I have a problem with movies that combine real human actors with CG human-like chracters because it never looks completely real. I would prefer all CG or all real actors with impressive makeup. (This is probably highly offensive to Tim. I apologize. I think District 9 did a much better job with CG characters, if that helps?) I didn't hate "Avatar" as much as I'm probably making this review sound, but I don't think it should win Best Piture.
My rating: C+

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, you'll also notice it's exactly like Disney's "Pocahontas." Just switch out names, and it is exactly the same story.