Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Super Engrish Time! Weeks 2 & 3

Yay! I'm going to post 2 pieces of Engrish from my personal collection due to missing last week.

First up is one of my personal favorites. This pencil case is very dear to me because it was the first Engrish item that I discovered and bought. It is responsible for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of Engrish. In 2001, my friend, Carrie, and I found this gem in an Asian $1 Store in the Montgomery Mall. We laughed so much at several items that we discovered in that store, and I am still kicking myself for not buying more before they were replaced by another shop.

First look at the drawing. It looks like a constipated wingless angel & an overly happy winged angel who is either hovering over his shadow or a pile of doody, and some stars behind them.

It says:

Mon Thester.

be Don't

of scared me...

Hello?

Next up is a Valentine gift bag that I found in Chinatown in Philly.


This picture conjurs so many questions.

  • Why does the little girl have a bandage around her head? Does she have a toothache? Did she bust her jaw?
  • Why is she so pissed off? Is it because her mouth hurts? Is it because of something the dog did to her?
  • Why is the dog so pissed off?
  • Why is the dog sitting like a person?
  • Why is such a young girl wearing high heels?

What the hell is flying out of the envelope? Is it love? This scene does not make me think of love. Perhaps it's the love that the little girl and her dog once shared, flying away?

Tell me what YOU think!

1 comment:

Jean said...

HAHAHAHA!!! These are great. I do NOT even know what to make of that pink bag!!! Why are they so angry?! Why??